Why is it important to worm your dog and cat?
Did you know you should worm your adult cats and dogs a minimum of 4 times a year, which is every 3 months?
Depending on the product you are using, puppies and kittens should be wormed every 2 weeks until they are 12 weeks and then every 3 months.
When you worm your pet it only kills the worms that are present: it doesn’t prevent your cat or dog from picking up more worms!
Just because your pet doesn’t show symptoms of having worms (which many adult dogs and cats don’t), this does not mean you shouldn’t worm them – it is still essential to worm them every 3 months as they do not always show outward signs.
There are 3 main reasons for worming regularly:
1) Protect your pet
- You are preventing them from growing a nasty worm infestation which can make them very poorly. Infestations in puppies and kittens can lead to them becoming seriously ill and/or be fatal.
2) Protect your family
- You are worming them to protect your family – certain worms are classed as zoonotic which means they can be passed from animals to humans.
- The dog roundworm, Toxocara canis, and the cat roundworm, Toxocara cati, are probably the best known of these.
- A human can become infected if they swallow the eggs having picked them up from the environment. In some cases, roundworm infestations in people have been linked to blindness and asthma in children.
3) Protect the environment
- Finally, we should all worm our pets to protect the environment.
- Most worm eggs are released back into the environment via our pet’s faeces. The eggs become infectious 30 days after the faeces has been passed, so sticking to a regular worming routine and picking up after your pet as soon as they’ve toileted will help reduce the spread of worm eggs.
- Worm eggs in fresh faeces are not infective to pets or people, so there is no need to stop picking up your dog's poop!
Worming Prevention and Treatment for your dog and cat
Cats - Use WORMclear® to treat against roundworms and tapeworms for cats. It is suitable to use on kittens and cats from 6 weeks of age.
Dogs - Use WORMclear® to treat against roundworms and tapeworms in dogs. It is suitable for puppies and dogs over the age of 2 weeks and weighing more than 3kg.
Do you need further pet advice?
If you need any further advice, please contact the OSCAR Helpline Team on our freephone number 0800 195 8000 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.