Valentine's day safety tips
It's Valentine’s Day! The holiday when we treat the ones we love and remind them how much they mean to us. We do this by showering them with gifts such as chocolates and flowers or a bottle of bubbly to celebrate. But please be warned, Valentine’s Day has hidden dangers - especially when it comes to our pets.
The most identifiable dangers to your pets are:
So, why is this sweet confectionery so dangerous for our pets? Chocolate contains a toxic component called theobromine. We, as humans, easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs’ metabolisms can only process the component slowly, which means toxic levels can build up in their systems.
Small amounts of chocolate can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, but a large amount of theobromine can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or even a heart attack.
So, please remember to leave that heart shaped box of chocolates somewhere safe and out of reach from your pet!
- Bouquets of flowers are the perfect gift for your other half but although they look pretty there are still hidden dangers!
- Lilies can be fatal to cats if they ingest any part of the plant. In dogs they may cause nausea and vomiting.
- Roses, if eaten, can also cause nausea and vomiting in our pets. The thorns may get caught in paw pads and fur, and, if ingested, may cause some internal harm.
Remember that cats are great at climbing and may climb high to investigate your flowers. Try to keep flowers in a room where your pet doesn't go.
What better way to set a perfect, romantic atmosphere than by lighting a few candles around the room? Beware of where you place your lit candles as wagging tails and soft fur can soon get in the way of a burning candle, causing harm.
Please keep candles high up out of reach, or, better still, buy battery operated ones.
Pop goes the bubbly and out pours the champagne ... onto the floor. Did you know that even a small amount of alcohol can cause your pet harm? Just a tiny amount can cause alcohol poisoning and lead to your pet vomiting, staggering or experiencing weakness in their legs.
Remember to mop and clean all spillages off the floor and please don't encourage your pets to lick up any mess you make.
At OSCAR, we care about your pets as much as you do. We provide nutritionally balanced diets for your cats and dogs. Why not treat your pet this Valentine’s Day and start your OSCAR journey with a £5 Starter Pack for cats or a £5 Starter Pack for dogs?
Want More Valentine’s Day Advice? Why Not Try…
- Valentine's Day Looking After Your Pet Family
- Valentine’s Day Infogram
- Why We Love Owning Pets
If you would like any further advice on our blog, please contact the OSCAR Helpline on our freephone number 0800 195 8000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.